I suppose one could refine the technique and copy the old External Switches concept, where there were 3 choices: 0, 1, or X. X meant unchanged. So in your example:

> if condition;
>   functionKeys = 'XXXX0XXXXXX0XXXXXXXXXXXX';
> endif;

could be used.

See how much improved a solution that is? errr... let me count those again....

Larry Ducie wrote:
Hi Rick,

<snip>
Anyway, thank you all for your opinions. Hopefully, I will be able to use them to reinforce my own arguments against this "standard". At least I can tell them that message board was unanimously against it!
</snip>

One last example to help you bury this mad idea:

/free

if condition;
  functionKeys = '000100000000001000010010';
endif;

/end-free

OK, what change didl I make to the indicators when executing the line above?

Possible answers:

1) Switched indicator 4 on.
2) Switched indicator 15 on.
3) Switched indicator 20 on.
4) Switched indicator 23 on.
5) Switched on any combination/permutation of the four indicators listed above on.

Answer?

I switched indicators 5 and 11 off. :-)

The idea is madness. It is totally unworkable. Regarding people understanding the system once they have got used to it - it's patent nonsense. If I look at an eval statement like the one above I have no idea what will be changed by that statement unless I know the exact state of the indicators prior to the execution of the statement. The problem is, except for extremely simple programs, this information is only known at runtime. How on earth am I you supposed to develop a program with that kind of constraint?

Sheer folly.

** Please deduct my account the sum of 0.02 Euro Dollars **

Cheers

Larry Ducie