That seems almost impossible to get 100% correctly.  Unless you have the
customer list on a database file on your system, at which point you
*could* try and make the matches between what's coming in and what's on
your own file...  other than that, yeah you're stumped.  What kind of
vendor allows names to be stored so hap hazardly?  Seems stupid to me.

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
709-576-8132
rpower@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.stjohns.ca/
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill

"Jim Franz" <jfranz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
2006/01/11 02:13 PM
Please respond to

"RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Name Parsing w/RPGLE

You can get some records determined by the middle initial
being either in middle or end. If in middle, then must be
first middle last. Middle initial might be "L" or L."
Watch out for "SR" "SR." "JR" "JR." also.
JOHNSON SR FRED is really FRED JOHNSON SR
There are other "designations" like MD (doctor), MS (Miss)
MR (Mister) that may be found.
Beyond the above you would need dictionary of 1st names
to try and match. Especially when only 2 or 3 words found,
like JOHN DAVID GRACE where each word is a valid 1st name.
Last time i explained the complexity of this to a customer,
they rolled their eyes and said "forget it"... I did do the simple check
for position of middle initial (above) and no more.
good luck
jim