Basically if you use anything else than characters you have to switch to
*afpds (Buks's answer is quite fair about learning AFP...).

There 3 type of objects to use images in spool files:

Overlay
Page Segment
Afp Resources

You can produce overlays or page segments using any windows application able
to print directing the output to the AFP driver provided with client access
(don't use the one on Ibm printer site). The driver just produce an output
file that you can import via Iseries Navigator as *OVL or *PAGSEG object
type.
The difference between Overlay and page segment is (essentially) that you
can stick an overlay to a printer file using ovrprtf and the overlay will be
printed on EACH page but you cant do it with page segment. You can use the
keywords OVERLAY or PAGSEG to stick the images exactly where you want in the
printer file.

AfpResources are a new feature (V5R3?) and let you use standard PC format
images in your printer files using the keyword AFPRSC (see DDS manual).

The printing step can be a problem: if you use Host Print Transform you
loose some basic capabilities of the 3 object types (colors, resizing,
fidelity...) I'd suggest taking a look at Infoprint server which can produce
good quality PDF that you can route to standard printer or view.

HTH
Marco

--- Mohammad Tanveer <mtanveer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it possible? How? What is *afpds?