Have you ever worked on an AS/400 that was resource constrained?  Opening a
member list could take quite a while.  Searching members could bring the
system to its knees.  Compiling interactively would cause people to come and
beat you with sticks.  If you couldn't afford to upgrade your AS/400, you
lived with the delays.

These things are also slow on an underpowered PC.  But since you can get a
3GHz PC with 1GB of RAM for around $600, that shouldn't be an issue.  And if
you want it to hum, you spend $1500.  It's really your choice.

Joe