How big of an XML document (or how much over 16MB) could you realistically
see being sent to your iSeries and what does that document contain (i.e.
PO's, database sync info, etc)?  The reason I ask is because there may be a
better approach to what is being done.

XML can be quite the pig when it comes to size, but a 16MB+ document, well,
that's A LOT of xml :-)

>How does as400 java handle strings that are larger than 16MB? I know in
.NET strings are used extensively and can be way larger than 16MB.

When you get into Java (and I am assuming this is true for .NET also) there
are a lot more "streaming" capabilities. It may just be a mindset thing
though, because one can do partial xml file processing with RPG just like it
can be done in Java or .NET. Also note that I am guessing there will be
differences with a Java program running in the native OS/400 environment vs.
in an app server (i.e. Tomcat or Websphere), concerning how mass amounts of
memory are handled.

I am not sure how well a web service receiving in 16MB documents would scale
on the typical machine (iSeries or Wintel or etc).  Is this happening a lot
throughout the day?  Is it just a one time thing during nightly processes?
What would happen if 50 programs accessed the web service at the same time?

On a last note, when I first got into iSeries and web services a few years
back I was trying to make everything capable of doing mega sized XML, but
through the years I find that documents do not usually reach that size when
developed by a third party, and if I design them myself I do so in a fashion
that encourages smaller units rather than trying to put a ton of
data/functionality into one xml transmission.

Here is an example of a 1MB xml file.  Take that times 16 and you will have
the size of document you are talking about.  That's not only a very large
chunk of memory but is also a lot of events to capture in your typical event
driven XML parser.  http://mowyourlawn.com/temp/big.xml

Aaron Bartell