Hi Arco,

>>How do you go with input file opening and closing in method 4 ?

I always use user opened (input) files in my procedures.
In each module where I use an (input) file, I always have an exported Open
and Close procedure.
In all read procedures the open procedure is called in the first step.
In the open procedure, I check if a file is already opened (using the %OPEN-
Built-in-Function).
If not yet opened the file gets opened otherwhise the procedure is left
immediately.

Because the Open and Close procedures are exported, I can open or close them
whenever I want.
Normally I let them open (I'd rather end the activation group), but there
may be some exceptions.

But to be honnest, in most cases (with the exception of Chain-Operations)
I prefere using embedded SQL instead of native I/0.

Birgitta