The problem is that the trackers (handheld) do not have a set device
descriptions. It is automatically set by the system at sign on time. Only the
handhelds do this.

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Fisher, Don
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 7:44 AM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: Help with data area in RPG

It might be easier to change the device descriptions of each terminal to
PRTDEV(<Name of Closest Printer>).  The printer file or OVRPRTF statement
would then specify DEV(*JOB), which should pick up the printer device
defined in the device description.

The advantages to this approach are the technician doesn't have to change
printers and you don't have to write any new code.

Donald R. Fisher, III
Project Manager
Roomstore Furniture Company
(804) 784-7600 extension 2124
DFisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<clip>
We have printers though out the plant. When a tech prints a tag we want it
to print at a printer near him. The tech can move around to different areas,
but keep the same handheld with him. The tech could even sign off, so I do
not want them to have to select the location each time they sign on.

I will give them a menu to select their location and then set the printer ID
that is closest to them in their data area. It would then update his data
area with the printer id.  In the print CL, I would read this data area and
load the printer id into a declare statement which would set the printer
outq in the print override.
<clip>