On 12/13/05, Wilt, Charles <CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You really need a LIKEDS here

*THANK YOU*

For the life of me, I couldn't remember how to pass structures like that!

Through the process of playing with this, I realized that the subproc was
"working", but, two things wreaked havoc -
1) DUMP in the main proc didn't correctly report the values defined in the
subproc; interactive debug showed me it was "working".
2) referring back to the data structure in the subproc:

   d Sel_Mbrs_ds  ds     80    Inz
   d  Sel_Mbr1           10a   Overlay( Sel_Mbrs_ds : 1 )
   d  Sel_Mbr2           10a   Overlay( Sel_Mbrs_ds : *next )
   d  Sel_Mbr3           10a   Overlay( Sel_Mbrs_ds : *next )
   d  Sel_Mbr4           10a   Overlay( Sel_Mbrs_ds : *next )
   d  Sel_Mbr5           10a   Overlay( Sel_Mbrs_ds : *next )
   d  Sel_Mbr6           10a   Overlay( Sel_Mbrs_ds : *next )
   d  Sel_Mbr7           10a   Overlay( Sel_Mbrs_ds : *next )
   d  Sel_Mbr8           10a   Overlay( Sel_Mbrs_ds : *next )
   d Sel_Mbrs            10    Dim( 8 )  Overlay( Sel_Mbrs_ds : 1 )

the subfields Sel_Mbr1 - Sel_Mbr8 were only local to the subproc, and I had
expected their values to be "returned" to the same-named subfields defined
in an externally-described data structure in the main proc.

My solution was to include the target arrays in the prototype, and get rid
of the Sel_Mbr1 - Sel_Mbr8 subfields in the subproc.  Bingo.

Now, can anyone tell me if a program-defined array can be overlaid in an
externally-described data structure?  (The 8-element array needs to overlay
8 consecutive fields in the structure.)

Thanks again!
Dan