An interesting use of IP/IS that I used to see (in fact, just prior to
Y2K) was to have an options file be the IP file, and the 'main' date
file be IS. A read would be done from the IP file to get the 1 option
record, and then the program would process the IS file till EOF. Back
before the READ opcode...