Tony Carolla wrote:

On 11/30/05, Booth Martin <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You youngsters don't remember OCL where we typed our commands directly
onto
the printer?  No screen at all?  My, what a breakthrough was that 6 x 40
screen!

Wow... Sounds suspiciously like a typewriter -- are you sure they had you
programming on the system ;-)

It was a typewriter, Tony, but more like a telex. I.e., it would type out the job status (there was only 1 or 2) and any error messages. At least, that's what we had on some early S/3 Models. But I think it was called OCC back then, rather than OCL. Have you ever heard Charlie Massoglia speak? Occasionally Charlie will, especially when talking about message responses, insert a comment like "Dial 'R' to retry." The "Dial" harkens back to the fact that, to respond to error messages (before the typewriter/telex) one had to spin a dial on the front of the CPU to the desired response. Even the "newbie" /34 and /36 people would have a confused look when he said "Dial," much less most of the /400 people later on. And the error message was a two [2] character display on the CPU. We always had the error message manual handy so we could translate these cryptic messages - before we "dialed" anything.

Dick Mustain, one of the chief designers of the S/34, told me once that originally the /34 was supposed to be another S/3 (Model 4). When they got through with it, it just didn't seem like a S/3, though. He, also, wrote the command processor and gave a session on it once at COMMON.
        * Jerry C. Adams
*iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice