Yes and the CQE is a performance nightmare....

Thanks,
Tommy Holden

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of HauserSSS
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 12:03 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: AW: SQL within RPG

Hi,

the decision of the optimizer, if and which access path is used, is also
affected by the data combination.
The statistics manager collects these information and uses them to find
the
optimal access path.

@Tommy,

what happened if you change the 2 columns in the group by clause?
I assume that in the first column are only a few distinct values.
This may cause the optimizer to prefere a table scan.
In the second example the result must be sorted in any case.
So the optimizer may decide using an access path is less expensive than
generating a result set and sorting this result set after.

But all in all that are speculations.
Without knowing the data combination and the statistics in detail,
we only can guess and try to understand what happened.

... and there may be also differences depending on the query engine
used.
It may be that executing a select statement with CQE (Classic Query
Engine)
an access path is used.
Executing the same select statement on the same data combination with
SQE
(Standard Query Engine) a table scan will be preformed (and vice versa).

Keep in mind, CQE is always used if a logical file with SELECT/OMIT
clause
is created over the physical file.
CQE is also used if a logical file (not SQL-View) is specified in the
select
statement.

Birgitta