0001.11 c/Exec Sql
0001.12 c+ Update :R1EFIL
0001.13 c+  set :R1EFLD = :R1EFVL
0001.14 c+  where INUMBR=:M1SSKU
0001.15 c/End-Exec

This is what I would like where :R1EFIL contains the value 'INVMST' ,
:R1EFLD='BYRNUM' and :R1EFVL = 21, INUMBR  is field in :R1EFIL (INVMST) and
:M1SSKU = (example) 888

That is I would update record with SKU#=888 in file INVMST setting the BYRNUM
field to 21

Keying in program gives me invalid token at the : in R1EFIL and R1EFLD, am I
missing something (besdies my sanity that is?)

Bob Cozzi <cozzi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You have two choices, the grunt way, as you've described it already in your
original note, and to use SQL and build the select statement, something
like:
SELECT EFV FROM INVMST into :BUYR

I recently worked on trying to create the following:

Eval BUYR = GetFieldValue('EFV')

However, programmically it isn't known how to do that with RPG IV and the
ILE environment, aside from using SQL or some other dynamic query tool.

-Bob Cozzi
www.RPGxTools.com
RPG xTools - Enjoy programming again.