On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 16:46 +0100, Medows, Alan wrote:
> I am trying to send email from a batch job using SNDDST and this has worked
> fine.  When I did the same overnight to notify me remotely in case of a
> backup failure, this failed to send an email.  Is a prerequisite of using
> SNDDST that QSNADS must be up and running?
>
> Longer term, would the use of the API qtmmsendmail overcome this problem and
> would this API give me other benefits.
>

> I am looking at creating a poor man's workflow of using Trigger files and
> notifying users based upon certain events.

There are a few working programs that use qtmmsendmail that you should
be able to find on the internet.  One was written by Dave Leland
(SNDEMAIL) a number of years ago and another by easy400 (don't know
their website anymore) called MMAIL.  There are probably others.

There's also been a lot posted so search the archives.

As with most of the IBM api's, the trick is learning the how to pass the
parameters.  With qtmmsendmail:
1. you have to create the mime file (so you have to know what the rules
are in the RFC2822) on the ifs (so you have to know the ifs api's) and
pass the directory/name to the api.  The api will delete it for you once
it's sent.  If you want to send attachments, you write those to the mime
file.  Most files need to be base64 encoded so if you need attachments,
you need to do that.  Code to do all of this can be found on the
internet.
2. The length of the file
3. Sender (the e-mail address name)
4. Recipients - this is a data structure of recipients in a specific
format.  See the documentation so you get it right.
5. The number of recipients
6. Error

hth
Phil