When a WRITE(E) operation results in the %ERROR BIF being on, can I be
certain that the record _wasn't_ written to disk?

The manual says that the %ERROR BIF will be turned on for status codes over
99. The status codes listed all seem to indicate that a record wasn't
written, except for 1299, the ominous 'Other I/O error detected'.

I have a module that attempts to create a record in a uniquely-keyed file,
and it uses a DOU %ERROR loop (it has been discussed here before). It uses
SETGT, READPE to detect an existing record, and if it finds one, it
increments the key component by one, and WRITE(E)'s. For some reason, it
went haywire and created five digits of records in the file. I am wondering
if, at the end of the loop, %ERROR was on, yet a record was written anyways?

I will be re-writing to detect the specific status code, but I am just
curious as to how in Hades it happened. Thanks!

--
"Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue..."
"In Hebrew SQL, how do you use right() and left()?..." - Random Thought