At the risk of slightly pounding my own drum:

MCPressOnline just published my latest article, this one on why RPG is
not quite dead yet, and in fact is one of the most powerful and most
evolving languages available today.

Several readers chimed in both in email and in the forums, and the issue
of renaming RPG came up a couple of times.  I had a sudden inspiration
and I answered that maybe we should call it DB2/PL!  SQL has its own
processing language, and for the longest time, RPG has been DB2's
processing language (long before the database was even called DB2, in
fact).

Think of it.  It's reminiscent of SQL/PL, which is hot, hot, hot these
days.  It ties the language to a pretty highly respected database,
instead of to Report Generation.  And it opens up the possibility of
porting down the road.  In fact, if all you have is embedded SQL, it
shouldn't be too hard to enhance VARPG to generate the appropriate code
for any database.  Things like CHAIN are a little more problematic, but
that's a different issue for a different day.

Anyway, just thoughts.  If you want to check it out, the article is
here:

http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc?1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@.6b2a7977

Joe