I just dug and little deeper and found that there is another parameter on the UPDPGM command, SRVPGMLIB. It "Specifies the library name used to resolve to currently bound service programs. A value other than *SAME for this parameter can be specified if the program attribute ALWLIBUPD is *YES."

When I tried to use SRVPGMLIB to change my program's service program's library, UPDPGM failed with CPF5CA7, saying "SRVPGMLIB must be *SAME when ALWLIBUPD is *NO."

On CRTPGM, there are two parameters that relate to this. They are, with their defaults:

Allow update . . . . . . . . . . ALWUPD         *YES
Allow *SRVPGM library update . . ALWLIBUPD      *NO

Unfortunately, CRTBNDRPG, which I use, does not have either of these parameters and apparently uses the defaults. DSPPGM for my programs created with CRTBNDRPG show this:

Allow update . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   *YES
Allow bound *SRVPGM library name update  . . . :   *NO

So, if you use CRTPGM, you can specify ALWLIBUPD(*YES) and use UPDPGM's SRVPGMLIB to change the bound service program's library.

If you use CRTBNDRPG, you need to run CRTBNDRPG again with the desired service program name and library.

Mel Rothman
Mel Rothman, Inc.

Brad Stone wrote:
Thanks, Mel.

I tried this, but when I do a DSPPGM it still shows *LIBL
for the service program in question even though I specify
the library.

I may try changing my binding dir temporarily to see if
that helps.

Brad

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:25:55 -0500