From: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Date: 10/03/05 11:07:46
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Qcmdexc

If you want to forget the length parameter, you could encapsulate QCMDEXEC
in a service program. In the procedure, you can use the CEEDOD API to
compute the length of the command to run. Here is the source of such a
service program:

h nomain

d cmdExec         pr                  opdesc
d                             3000a   options(*varsize) const

  *====================================================================

p cmdexec         b                   export
d                 pi                  opdesc
d @cmd                        3000a   options(*varsize) const

  * Prototype for CEEDOD (Retrieve operational descriptor)
d CEEDOD          pr
d ParmNum                       10i 0 const
d                               10i 0
d                               10i 0
d                               10i 0
d                               10i 0
d                               10i 0
d                               12a   options(*omit)
  * Parameters passed to CEEDOD
d DescType        s             10I 0
d DataType        s             10I 0
d DescInfo1       s             10I 0
d DescInfo2       s             10I 0
d InLen           s             10I 0

d @lon            s             15p 5
d @cmdExc         s           3000a

  * Use the operational descriptors to determine the lengths of     *
  * the parameters that were passed.                                *
c                   callp     CEEDOD(1         : DescType : DataType :
c                                    DescInfo1 : DescInfo2: Inlen    :
c                                    *OMIT)

c                   call      'QCMDEXC'
c                   parm      @cmd          @cmdExc
c                   parm      InLen         @lon

c                   return

p cmdexec         e

Denis Robitaille
Directeur services technique TI
819 363 6130

SUPPORT
Jour (EST) Daytime : 819-363-6134
En-dehors des heures (EST) After hour : 819-363-6158
Network Status : 819-363-6157

>>> Satheeshkumar_selvaraj@xxxxxxxxxx 2005-10-03 11:18:09 >>>
The Prototype for QCMDEXC is defied as
first parameter with Variable length character (Command) and
second parameter as 15P5 numeric (Length of the Command).
So your call should match with the prototype of the API.
This rule applies for any API or program you call.

Satheesh