Hmmm... I think you quoted the wrong section of my reply, because
Block(*YES) on the F-spec says to use read blocking, not specify a DS that
the file is read into...

As far as I know, specifying BLOCK(*YES) on the F-Spec overrides the
decision criteria the compiler uses to determine whether or not to read
ahead in the file when an input operation is executed. I don't know the
exact criteria, but I believe that if you only do READs, and no READEs,
CHAINs, etc, then blocking is done by default, without the BLOCK keyword.

I always specify BLOCK(*YES) or BLOCK(*NO), but that's probably a 'control
freak' issue I have.

But in addition to doing this, I also specify the overridden block size
(number of records read), because I sometimes want to read more than the
default. I believe the default # of records is 4k-worth of records, whereas
there is a 128k buffer available for all files using blocking. It might be
more if the job runs in batch, not sure.

If I build a program that needs to read all, or a large number of records
from a file, and If I run this program on a system with plenty of memory,
and it is in a pool that has enough of this memory allocated, then it is
unlikely that the memory allocated to my program will be 'swapped' to disk
often, so I take advantage of the full 128k, and tell the system to 'fill-er
up' each read. This minimizes disk I/O transactions, and runs alot faster. I
have done extensive benchmarking using this technique, and it works well.

And that is why I wish that, in addition to saying Block(*YES), you could
say Block(*YES:xxxx), specifying the number of records to read each input
operation.