On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 17:38, Joel Fritz wrote:
> It's just my opinion, but I don't see much benefit in externalizing file
> I/O in RPG.  You have to hard code the file name and/or record format
> name.  It's true you may not have to recompile as many programs when you
> change a file, but there is the effort involved in creating the I/O
> routines. The key is how often files are changed vs the effort necessary
> to create the I/O modules.

I suppose now would be as good a time as any to mention that I have a
free, open-source tool that will create most (if not all, depending on
your desired sophistication level) of the externalizing I/O routines for
any physical file.  You may download the tool at http://www.rpgbeans.com
(it does require the also-free but not open-source "xRPG Core Library"
from http://www.rpgnext.com).

And if you are interested in Encapsulation using RPG and Service
programs, check out these two articles:

http://www.midrangeserver.com/fhg/fhg072104-story01.html
http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg011205-story01.html

And for good measure, a link to the rest of my articles (should help
with questions about binding directories, service programs, and such)

http://www.rpgnext.com/tutorials.php

HTH,

Joel Cochran
http://www.rpgnext.com