From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wilt, Charles
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 12:26 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Subprocedure Question

Isa,

The binding directory is only used at compile time.  It doesn't really
matter how many entries are in it.

Note that when deciding between service program/modules modules are
bound in at compile time whereas service programs are activated and
bound during run-time.  The activation requirement for service programs
means there is a performance impact.  Nothing you usually need be
concerned about.  But if you've got a program that uses 100s of files
and thus 100s of service programs, you might see a difference.

In addition, while I normally have one file == one service program as I
begin moving slowly toward externalizing I/O, you may want to consider
sets of files in a single service program.  For instance, if a most
programs that need FileA also need FileB, FileC, FileD, and FileE, then
it might make sense to bind all five file modules into a single service
program.  Concrete example would be an ORDERS service program made up of
the ORDHDR, ORDDTL, and ORDNOTE file I/O modules

Make sense?

One thing I think is important to keep in mind when trying to
externalize file I/O is that if the procedures are simply GetRecord() or
GetField(), you not doing much for yourself except creating extra work.
Instead, you want to incorporate the business logic into the file I/O
procedures.

For example:

/free
  CUSTOMER_OpenRecord(myCustNbr);
  if (CUSTOMER_GetStatus() <> 'A');
    // customer not active error
  endif;
/end-free

vs.

/free
  if CUSTOMER_IsActive(myCustNbr);
    // customer not active error
  endif;
/end-free

My rule of thumb is that the only reason to call a "Getter" procedure is
to display the value on screen or print it on a report.  Similarly, for
"Setters" you don't want something like this:

/free
  CUSTOMER_OpenRecord(myCustNbr);
  CUSTOMER_SetStatus('X');
  CUSTOMER_UpdateRecord();
/end-free

instead, try this:
/free
  CUSTOMER_Inactivate(myCustNbr);
/end-free

Note that CUSTOMER_SetStatus() should be being called by
CUSTOMER_Inactivate();

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America