Hi Tony,

That's interesting.  An associate of mine wrote a program back in the dark
ages (1985) that uses the technique, and it works for me -- I just tested
it.  The physical had 616,000+ records; the logical had 3,711, and the
program reports back 3,711 for the logical.

Perhaps you did not put a "K" on the file spec?  Take a look at this code
http://code.midrange.com/index.php?id=8f8205650e written in RPG that does
the job.

hth,
Peter Dow