From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 1:03 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: No Subroutines (was Re: Debugging many subprocedures)

> Why does it have to be either/or? Subroutines within a procedure can be a
> handy way of organizing your code.

Frankly, if you need to break your subprocedure up into subroutines, it
probably shouldn't have all been in the same subprocedure in the first
place. (Though, I'm guilty of this -- I just don't advocate it!)

> Is it wisdom to throw away one's hammer just because a nail gun is now
> available?

The problem with that analogy is that hammers are much more versatile
(albeit slower) than nail guns.  A hammer can be used for any size or type
of nail. It can also be used for pulling nails out. And shaping metal.
And breaking apart rusty fittings... the list goes on and on.  A nail gun
can only put it nails, it can't do any of the other things that a hammer
does.

That's not the case with subprocedures. Subprocedures are MORE versatile
than subroutines, not less. They're also easier to maintain.

So, a more fitting analogy would be "does it make sense to throw away your
jagged rock now that we have knives?"  (It sure does. That rock is heavy!)
A rock is certainly more difficult to maintain than a knife.

Or maybe, "does it make sense to throw away your answering machine now
that you have voicemail?"  Yes, I think so. They serve the same purpose,
but the voicemail is more versatile.

> Honestly, I don't understand why some people have such strong feelings about
> these things. Subroutines are just another tool in your kit. They can be
> used to your advantage, or abused; just like all of the rest of the tools in
> your kit.

Shrug.. I don't have strong feelings about subroutines and subprocedures,
but I do have strong feelings that RPG programmers need to upgrade their
skills, and that the fact that people haven't changed their coding much
since RPG III is a major reason that the iSeries is declining.

Therefore, it makes sense to encourage people to use modern techniques,
and to try to push them out of their envelope and get them learning.

We don't need more monolithic, rigid, green-screen RPG programs that
people are afraid to make changes to.  They're bad for business. We need
to get people to write easy to maintain, easy to change software that can
be easily adapted to whatever comes next in the computer world.