Brilliant!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Larry Ducie
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 12:03 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: creating a new procedure that call an existing procedure with
oneadditional par

Hi Lim,

<snip>
Question: is there a way for me to utilize the logic in SndMsg with copying
them to SndMsgQ?
</snip>

Damn hotmail and it's short subject line!

Anyway, here's how I'd do it:

1) Move the code from within SndMsg to SndMsgQ and then call SndMsgQ from
SndMsg with the params passed to SndMsg re-arranged to suit SndMsgQ.

2) In SndMsg you should pass MsgInQueue as blanks (or a suitable default
value) to SndMsgQ if %addr(MsgInQueue) = *null.

3) In SndMsgQ you should already be checking for %addr(MsgInType),
%addr(MsgInType) and %addr(MsgLib) <> *null (or %parms > a certain value) so
they're already taken care of.  You just need to cater for the MsgInQueue
value being a default value.

So I would put all of the code in the more restrictive subprocedure, and in
the less restrictive subprocedures you add default values for the params you
are not passed but the more restrictive subprocedure requires. Then you
simply call the more restrictive subprocedure from within your less
restrictive subprocedure. This way you can create a lot of entry points, but
one set of code. It also lets you have control over how much data is
required, and what to do if some isn't passed (set defaults or throw an
exception).

Cheers

Larry Ducie