On 7/25/05, Scott Klement <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > don't think about it much. It would be nicer to not have to utilize the
> LR
> > indicator if you have all full procedural files. Or perhaps it should be
> an
> > H-Spec... LRObsolote(*Yes). Or UseLR(*No)...
>
> Okay, but then you'd lose the ability to end the program and leave the
> files open, etc. Granted, with the advent of service programs, that
> functionality isn't that useful -- but there are still a lot of people who
> use it.
>
> If you do want an H-spec that forces the program to end when you run the
> RETURN op-code, but you don't want to have to set on *INLR for some
> reason, then you can code this:
>
> H DFTACTGRP(*NO) ACTGRP(*NEW)
>
> Not a good idea if your program is called in a loop -- but then *INLR is
> only slightly better.

Okay, I see. I was missing a few peices of the puzzle, but now I
understand... Maybe. If the example H-spec is used, when the program RETURNs
control to the caller, subsequent calls to the program will result in a new
'copy', in a new activation group, with all files being re-opened, all
variables re-initialized, etc.

But in that case, when the program RETURNs control to the caller, does the
*NEW activation group end, or just become in-accessible, and just hang
around until the entire job ends?