- the Eclipse IDE has a CVS (Change Version System? - change management
software) client built in, useful for looking a the latest source for a
project.

CVS = Concurrent Versions System. It's pretty much the de-facto standard for source code control in open source projects today.

More info can be found here:
http://www.cvshome.org/

- the Java source for these projects is stored with a single linefeed as a
record delimiter (a Unix standard I believe)

Correct, that's the Unix standard for text files.

which Windows Notepad does not recognize, since it expects a 2-character record delimiter consisting of a carriage return and a linefeed. I used NoteTab Light; other suggestions were the Eclipse IDE, TextPad, cygwin (a bash shell for Windows) which lets you use vi, gvim.sf.net (graphical vi), on OS X you can use Fink and Fink Commander.

The Wordpad utility that comes with Windows will work. As will the MS-DOS 'edit' command, that also comes with Windows. In fact, pretty much anything aside from Notepad...