Alan, this is an interesting idea.  Typically, open source iSeries
projects like this tend to fizzle, but I'd like to see if maybe we can't
get one to work.  David is already doing a Wiki, so maybe a repository
of code is also an idea whose time has finally come.

I'm absolutely buried until August, but once I come up for air, I'd like
to try to get a project like this started.  In the meantime, perhaps we
can start coming up with things we'd like to see.  For one, I'd love to
see a set of standard calls to the various system APIs.  This is
actually a bit more complicated than at first blush, because one of the
first things you need is a standard error structure, which in turns
means some sort of standard naming convention.

The best I've seen to date are Scott Klement's naming conventions (for
example, his error structure is dsEC).  I've co-opted them in some of my
stuff with a couple of minor changes.

A big issue here is whether we should try to keep at least one version
available for the folks who are still at back versions like V4R5.  It
might not be complete, but I'd hate to leave those folks out (and
according to polls, there are a lot of them out there) just because they
haven't had the opportunity to get to the latest release.

Joe