When I moved to RPG IV I started out by using /FREE (which I like very much). But I am struggling with moving some of the RPGIII concepts to /FREE.

I have a prompt screen that has 10 selection values (Field0 through Field9) and I call a subroutine that validates these fields before submitting. So I have to step through each field, chain to a file to validate the value and then set on an indicator. My problem is getting my head around the concept. In RPG III I would have written something like:

FIELD1    CHAIN   MYFILEFMT       97
*IN99       IFEQ      *ON
SETON 20 (Reverse Image and Highlight)
                 ENDIF
FIELD2     CHAIN  MYFILEFMT       97
*IN99       IFEQ      *ON
SETON 21 (Reverse Image and Highlight)
                 ENDIF

And so on.....but I think I should be able to construct a DO loop to iterate through the fields.

So, first how would I reference the fields for the chain in FREE? I *don't think* I can do:

Count = 0;
DOW count <10;
FieldName = 'Field' + %char(count);
            chain  FieldName  MyFile;
            if  not%found(MyFile);
            //seton the indicator
Count = Count + 1;
ENDDO;

Can't do it because I think the chain will occur with the literal value 'Field0'.....

Second, with the indicator value I'd like to do something like incrementally setting on the correct indicator starting at a particular starting value plus the counter. Something like:

*in,(20 + count) = *on; although I know referencing indicator arrays in this way can't be done in /free.

Using arrays for all of this comes to mind as well.

Is there a simple solution to this ? ( I have ordered a couple of books about /free but they won't arrive until after August 5th :-(

Thanks,

Pete Helgren