From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 9:34 AM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: Assembly programmers do it a byte at a time

> From: Holden Tommy
>
> I agree with what you say Joe...

Back atcha...

> OR use a driver CL & a control file
> to call a single CL that does this:
> pgm (&library &filename &templib)
>

> CpyF &Library/&FileName &TempLib/&FileName +
>      MbrOpt(*Replace) CrtFile(*Yes)
> endpgm
>
> then should sometime happen that we had to change keyword values on
the
> CPYF command I change 1 line of code in 1 program vs.
> 84 lines of code in 1 program.  This is a small change to the way you
can
> program that can save 100's of manhours in maintenance.  It's not
really
> changing the WAY you program, just the way you DESIGN the program.

But what if the change involves changing the CPYF command for only SOME
of the programs?  What if the parameters are different for each of the
files?  What if the parameters change once in a while?

I COULD create a control file to contain the parameters, and have the
driver program read the file and pass the parameters to the CL program.
Of course, I'd have to change the CL every time I needed to pass a new
parameter.  And then I'd need a program - a standard subfile
display/change program - to maintain the control file...

Or I could just change the appropriate line in the 84 lines of source
code and recompile the program.

At the end of the day, it's a business decision.  It's ALWAYS a business
decision.  It's not a religious decision, it's not a philosophical
decision, and it sure ain't a CS 101 decision.  It's a business
decision.

Joe