Alan, Bob,

I think you are missing my point.

So below is clipped example.

Admittedly each subroutine could be a procedure, but why?
I would have to pass all needed values to each procedure, while not a big
deal why?
The API this code is from has only two exported procedures, but there are 12
internal procedures (required because of the need to use an attribute of
procedures) and 14 subroutines. The subroutines are local to each procedure,
thus if I made them procedures I would have several initialize,
validateparms, etc... procedures and would have to uniquely name them. Why
go to the effort?
I could remove the subroutines and do everything inline (like C) but with
the logic compartmentalized in subroutines it is eaiser to read and
understand, especially by others IMO.

I really want to understand your point of view: if you only learn from those
who agree with you you learn nothing.

Duane Christen

/*++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++
/*   Procedure Code

/*++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++

 /Free

  ExSr initialize;

  ExSr validateParms;

  forceRetreival = *OFF;

  Select;

     When lrnFormat = 'RTVLRN0100';

        ExSr getCurrentLRN;

        ExSr loadLRNFormat0100;

     When lrnFormat = 'RTVLRN0105';

        forceRetreival = *ON;

        ExSr getCurrentLRN;

        ExSr loadLRNFormat0100;

     Other;

        sndPM_Msg_Id = 'PVM1000';

        %SubSt(SndPM_Data : 1 : 20) = 'LRN Info. Format';

        %SubSt(SndPM_Data : 21 : 10) = lrnFormat;

        stringLength = 54;

        %SubSt(sndPm_Data : 31 : 2) = binLength;

        %SubSt(sndPm_Data : 33 : stringLength) =

          %Trim(lrnFormats.Format(1)) + '&N' +

          %Trim(lrnFormats.Format(2));

          /Include QRPGCBSRC,CQMHSNDPM

     EndSl;

     Return;

//==========================================================================
=================
  //   Get Current LRN from Stack or RASP

//==========================================================================
=================

  BegSr getCurrentLRN;

     stackIndex = findLineInStack(line0100.Line);

     If stackIndex = 0;                                              // LRN
Not Found in stack
       stackIndex = putLineInStack(line0100.Line :                   //  Get
LRN from NEC and
                      getCurrentRaspLRN(line0100.Line));             //  put
it in the stack

     ElseIf forceRetreival;

        updateLineInStack(line0100.line : stackIndex :

                          getCurrentRaspLRN(line0100.Line));         //  put
it in the stack
     EndIf;

  EndSr;