Alan,

I agree on the point you need to know design principles to construct a database
or a programme. But....

You are mixing design principles. ILE and OO are not the same, ILE and RPG IV
are not the same (Vernon already stated that, rightly so), database design and
OO are not the same (Relational DB and Object DB are different concepts). You
do not need  OO principles to develop a programme; it is all based on
functional decomposition or better: modularization. Subroutines are the lowest
forms of modularization, functions and (service) programmes are the higher
levels.

What you describe is not object oriented programming, you talk about function
logic oriented programming (you may invent your own acronym for that).
Apperently, and watching the ever returning discussion on RPG III/RPG IV (or
the use of ILE concepts), it never took off.

My assumption is: "If you know when to put a piece of code in a subroutine,
then you have half written your programme".  And you can substitute the word
"subroutine" for "procedure", "programme", anything you like. It is all based
on programme structure: one programme (you call that "monolith"), six
programmes, who cares.

And the idea, that you cannot write modular programmes in RPG III is completely
absurd. You did not have ILE, OO already existed. You could use the same
methodology of programme design than, as you can use it nowadays. Perhaps the
net result was a overkill of small programmes, or a programme with a lot of
subroutines, called on basis of a code, passed as an extra  parameter. And
don't tell me, you did not have any design principles in those days.

The base of it all  is: you use what is available and use it to the best
practice. The main importance is design, the programming language is not
important: it could be any language.

Just my humble opinion.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler