And herein lies our problem with the new coders coming out of our parent
company.  From what I understand, the RPG programmers coming out of
University are hired by our parent company and taken under the wing of
the senior programmers.  The senior programmers do not know anything
other than RPG III, so the new graduates "learn" that way of
programming.

Unfortunately, this practice is perpetuated as the juniors become
seniors and teach those under them the "RPG III" way.  Hence, when our
company programs in more efficient RPG IV, we receive no support from
the parent company.

I think that's why the programmers in our shop have no motivation to
program on our AS/400.  It is the opinion of them that the parent
company discourages "new technology" simply because they do not
understand the value of moving to RPG-IV.

Since I have been with the company, it has become my mission to become
self-sufficient from the parent company (in terms of RPG programming)
within five years.  To my credit, our senior management recognizes the
need to change and have given me full support to do so.  However, it is
an uphill struggle because:

1) The parent company will only code in RPG III
2) The existing source code contains NO documentation and is fraught
with a myriad of GOTOs and generic variable names (I have yet to see any
fields other than FLD1, FLD2 used for descriptions).

All of our other sister companies have full-time RPG programmers on
staff - we're the last of the companies that are still somewhat
dependant on our parent company for figuring out what the heck they are
doing in their code.

I'll climb down off of my soapbox... :)

Brian.