Good question!  I never tried this on XML data.  But basically, what I do
with packed data in a DB2 database is to convert the hex value to a
character value.

  *---------------------------------------------------------------------
      *    ExtPack - Extract Packed Data from DS
      *---------------------------------------------------------------------
     C     ExtPack       Begsr
      *
      ****
     C                   Eval      filwrk = DataFile
     C                   Eval      Hexstring = %Subst(filwrk:iBps:iLen)
      ****
      *
     C                   eval      NumHex = 0
     C                   Evalr     Char16 = %subst(hexstring:1:iLen)
     C                   Eval      CharField = %char(NumHex)
     C                   If        NumHex >= 0
     C                   Eval      Sign = '+'
     C                   Else
     C                   Eval      Sign = '-'
     C                   Endif
      *
     C                   Endsr
      *