rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   3. Field Value by Reference? (Martin, Steve (MAN-Golden))
>
>Using `Cursor field` on the RTNCSRLOC keyword in my display file, I can get
>the name of the field my cursor is on, for example, if/when I press a
>function key. How can I get the value of the field whose name is found in
>the `Cursor field`?

Steve:

Two possibilities come to mind at first:

Look at the Retrieve Display File Description (QDFRTVFD) API. I haven't gone
through that entire API, but you ought to be able to interpret your record
buffer by using the results of the API. No trivial effort there. Sure seems
best to have this all wrapped up in a procedure or three.

Also look at the Retrieve Program Variable (QTERTVPV) API for OPM, or the whole
set of debugger APIs for ILE (someone else will have to provide focused
details). While this API requires some environment manipulation (debug) and
compiled programs that keep variable names, it can work. I haven't done this
from within the same program, but it might be worth a try.

IOW, I don't think there's much choice within RPG itself. But then again, if
you write the program, you can make it do pretty much anything.

Tom Liotta