From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 4:37 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: accessing PF from freebsd machine with perl

> Actually, I think somebody hit the nail on the head and I missed
> something when I was thinking. Use some perl ODBC library to read and
> write to AS/400 files directly.

IBM doesn't create ODBC drivers fro FreeBSD. You could use JDBC (Java's
version of ODBC) but then you'd need some way for the Perl program to
talk
to the Java program, which brings us right back to sockets.

> mostly solved and doesn't involve writing some custom server, no
> matter
> how much one might like to (Hi Scott, I liked your tutorial)

You don't necessarily need to write a new server. You could use the
iSeries Web server or you could use inetd, etc. A dedicated server would

be the most efficient way, but it really depends on the requirements of
the project. Hopefully we'll learn more about them soon.

Glad you liked the tutorial.