You have no idea how excited I am to see a FreeBSD question on the RPG list! :)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is possible.  We have a
freebsd machine which we are using for some web apps, typically cgi's with
perl, we'd like to be able to write some records from that on our 170, using
perl if possible.....

Are you familiar with sockets programming?

What I do (and this may or may not be right for you, depending on your particular scenario) is send a UDP datagram from the FreeBSD box to the iSeries. Then I have a (never-ending) RPG program running on the iSeries that receives the datagram and writes it to the file.

Depending on your requirements, a TCP connection might be a better option than UDP.

Can you tell me a little more about your scenario? What kinds of records are you sending? Do you need to read records, or just write them? Is there any sort of response coming back from the iSeries to the FreeBSD box that you need?