Hi Larry,

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Larry Ducie wrote:

In fact I'd go further, and abandon all new opcodes. I'd prefer it to be
implemented as a BIF:

%evalCorr(myFirstDS:mySecondDS);

The only problem I have with that idea is that it's not a function. That is, it doesn't return a value! All other BIFs return something, and therefore they make sense to use in an expression.

For example:

     MyString = 'The number is ' + %char(Number);

However, that doesn't seem to be the case with EVAL-CORR. Since EVAL-CORR doesn't return anything, it would not make any sense in an expression.

The following statement makes absolutely no sense:

     MyString = 'blah ' + %evalCorr(FirstDS: SecondDS);

Since BIFs all work in an expression, how would you call %evalCorr() if it didn't return anything? You couldn't use it in an EVAL statement, since there'd be no way to assign it to a variable. You couldn't use it anywhere else you had an expression, either.

So, I guess, you're suggesting that CALLP be extended to support BIFs. In which case, %evalCorr would be the *only* BIF to be callable through this interface.

Seems to me that having an opcode like EVAL-CORR (although I despise that name as well!!!) would be a lot more consistent with the rest of the language than making it a BIF. Making it a BIF makes no sense at all.

Instead, just come up with a decent opcode name.