Agree with 100%.

-----Original Message-----
From: Walden H. Leverich [mailto:WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 8:10 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Hyphenated OpCode Names

>Should IBM go ahead with its plan to include a hyphen
>as in EVAL-CORR) in all future operation codes in RPG IV?
>What do you all think?

Bob, I guess my answer is who cares? I don't mean to sound callous, but
as RPG evolves, and as more people move toward /FREE, what is an opcode?
In the "olden days" an op code went in the op code column, and only IBM
could create an op code. However, these days what about:

NextOrder = GetNextOrderNumber()

Or

InStock = CheckStockLevel(ItemNo)

Or even better

CreditOK = CheckCredit(GetCustomerForOrder(OrderNo))

These functions are effectively opcodes from my point of view. True,
they're not "pure" codes like eval, chain, setll, etc. but you're going
to see them throughout your code right next to the chains and evals of
the world. And there's no guarantee that they won't be named
Check_Stock_Level() or Get-Next-Order-Number() so everyone better get
used to using their brain.

If that sounds pissy I'm sorry, perhaps I haven't had enough coffee (or
I stayed up too late watching the end of season 2 of 24 on DVD) but it's
a brave new world and the iSeries better get used to it -- actually the
sad thing is that this world isn't new, but we've had our iSeries
blinders on so long we're just noticing it.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x11