And then all the logic is contained in a procedure instead of the calling
program having to check an array of indicators.

Thanks, Rory.

Donald R. Fisher, III
Project Manager
Roomstore Furniture Company
(804) 784-7600 extension 2124
DFisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<clip>
If you want a one-step procedure, you could also/instead use this
bitpattern() procedure, for instance if you want to check that ONLY bit 2
(the third bit) is on and all the other bits are off, you would use this:

   if bitpattern( '00100000' : MyField );

or if you don't care about the state of the other bits, you would use
this:

   if bitpattern( 'xx1xxxxx' : MyField );
<clip>
P bitpattern      B                   Export
D                 PI              N
D P_Pattern                      8A   Value
D P_Char                         1A   Value
 *---------------------------------------------------------------------
D UnspecChar      DS
D   CharArr                      1A   Dim(8)
D Pattern         DS
D   PattArr                      1A   Dim(8)
D B               S             10I 0 Inz
 *---------------------------------------------------------------------
 *
C                   Eval      Pattern = P_Pattern
C                   Eval      UnspecChar = bitform( P_Char : 1 )

 *
C     1             Do        8             B
C                   If        ( PattArr(B) = '0' or
C                               PattArr(B) = '1') and
C                             PattArr(B) <> CharArr(B)
C                   Return    *Off
C                   Endif
C                   Enddo
 *