Indeed, if you pass a pointer and an integer, you can handle large amounts of memory. A varying field consists of a 2-byte integer containing the actual length and the character data. Gives you an opportunity to pass data and length in one parameter, but you are limited to 64k.

When you use an options(*varsize) field, the length in the prototype does not really matter, because the compiler does not check it. It might have effect if you use CONST as well and the compiler has to create a temporary variable. Not sure about that, though.

Joep Beckeringh