Ah but that approach won't work if you have 4 different subfile records
that you want to show at any given time.  Say for instance you want to
show a subfile for the different options available to an employee and have
the user select the one they wish to display in detail.  Depending on what
that employee has signed up for, they could have 8 different types of
pension, leave, benefits etc.  I like that approach of using the single
alpha field for the subfile record.  It never even dawned on me to use
hidden fields for the "real" data, and the color attributes, nice touch.
Just a second here,
OPEN            BRAIN
WRITE           BRAINR
CLOSE           BRAIN

Ok, I've stored that little idea in my head.  LOL.

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
Tel: 709-576-8132
Email: rpower@xxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://www.stjohns.ca/
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill

"Booth Martin" <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
18/05/2005 04:33 PM
Please respond to

"RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Subfiles - overlapping fields

As you arrive at that level of sophistication it might be cleaner and
simpler to just fill two subfiles everytime, and then let the user choose
which view to see with an F-key.   Its not much more work, and it sure is
easier to understand or modify 3 months later

Booth Martin

http://www.martinvt.com