Hi Ken,

<snip>
BUT ... this method means that you have to have authority to use commands
that generally are going to be *PUBLIC *EXCLUDE.  And to use the STRSRVJOB
command:

    To use this command, you must be signed on as QPGMR, QSYSOPR,
    QSRV, or QSRVBAS, or have use (*USE) authority to the user
    profile of the job being serviced.

I could run this on our development system but not on our production system.
</snip>

You're right. I have authority to service jobs on our production machines so
it's not a problem for me. I'm not suggesting a difinitive solution here.
I'm just posting some code I knocked up in a couple of hours that has served
me very well in the past.

<snip>
And a traceable event has to occur to trigger the exit program, which the
break-handling program method does not require.
</snip>

Again, right. But for me:

When I'm debugging a job that I'm servicing, I can simply press F21 to get a
command line. I can then issue the SNDJOBCMD from the command line. When I
F12 from the command line back to the debugger - guess what? Yep, that was a
traceable event and my command has just run. So I can sit on the same break
point and issue as many commands as I like because every time I access the
command line from the debugger and return to it I create an event that can
be traced.

<snip>
My other comment ... when you said that you could easily access another
job's QTEMP, that wasn't really true.  Like the break-handling program
method, you are getting that job to access its own QTEMP on your behalf,
which isn't quite the same thing.
</snip>

Well I guess that all depends upon your definition of "access". I have
access to my money, but I don't go into the bank vault to get it. The fact
that the money dispensed to me by the ATM is not the actual money placed
into my account is immaterial. The balance shows an amount and I can
withdraw on it. The same holds true here - if I can delete an object in the
QTEMP library of another job, I think you'll agree that the object is most
definitely deleted. How I managed to do it does not come into the equation -
but you must concede that I had some form of access to it. :-)

I could imagine there are much sweeter ways of doing this, and I concede to
you that it is a simple hack and not an elegant API that truly accesses the
QTEMP objects in a way we would consider "real" access. But hey, it's free.
If it's useful to one other programmer then it's worth sharing.

For sweet you want to see my SQL2XML service program, now that's a nice
piece of kit! SQL queries on multiple files to generate any XML you like.
All using QSQPRCED so no need for the SQL precompiler. But, as it's a WIP,
that's for another thread... :-)

Cheers

Larry