I used your code to show a quick(not pretty) example of how I sometimes
write my mainline routine for my report programs.  Maybe it might help.

'**************************************************************************
'*       MAINLINE
'**************************************************************************
'*       READ THE FIRST RECORD IN THE FILE AND WRITE DATA TO VARIABLES
'**************************************************************************
*
* set record counter
C                   EVAL      COUNTER = *ZEROS
C       *START      SETLL     BRANCH
C                   DOU       %EOF(BRANCH)
C                   READ      BRANCH
C                   IF        %EOF(BRANCH)
C                   LEAVE
C                   ENDIF
*
* increment record counter
C                   EVAL      COUNTER = COUNTER + 1
*
* pRINT HEADER FOR 1ST RECORD
C                   IF        COUNTER = 1
* COPY DATA TO HOLDING AREA
C                   EVAL      DBRANCHID = ILNINV#A
C                   EVAL      DCUSTNO = ILNSOLDTO
C                   EVAL      DSTOCKNO = ILNSTK
C                   EXSR      PRTHEADER
C                   ENDIF
*
* IF CRITERIA MET, INCREMENT TOTALS
C                   IF        ILNINV#A = DBRANCHID AND
C                             ILNSOLDTO = DCUSTNO AND
C                             ILNSTK = DSTOCKNO
C                   EVAL      DTSALES = DTSALES + ILNEPRICE
C                   EVAL      DTCOST = DTCOST + ILNEUAVCST
*
* IF CRITERIA NOT MET, print detail
C                   ELSE
C                   EXSR      PRTDETAIL
c                   CLEAR                          PRINTER_DETAIL_LINE
* copy new data to holding area
C                   EVAL      DBRANCHID = ILNINV#A
C                   EVAL      DCUSTNO = ILNSOLDTO
C                   EVAL      DSTOCKNO = ILNSTK
*
C                   ENDIF

C                   ENDDO
* DOU %EOF(BRANCH)
*
C                   EVAL      *INLR = *ON
C                   RETURN

"Douglas W. Palme" <dpalme@xxxxxxxxxxx>@midrange.com on 05/12/2005 05:30:55
PM

Please respond to RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
       <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent by:    rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx