Booth,

I remeber these hassles on the S/36. We used to always include a "Delete"
field in each file, usually at the end of the record then ORGANIZE the
file omitting records with the character in the position we wanted. The
setup always worked fine for us.

Eventually they added the ability to to define the file as Delete capable
on the BLDFILE command. If you used a Delete operation on the file, it
changed the first byte, or the whole record to *hivals, so you could no
longer access the data in the record but it left the record there, making
you still ORGANIZE the file to get rid of the record.

When I tried using DFU to delete records, it always told me I wasn't allowed
to do it, so I gave up on using it and always had a delete code in the
record.
I know a lot of my piers had the same exerience. If there is a delete field
in
the file, you may want to just update it with a 'D' or whatever it is
supposed
to be. Don't use the DFU delete function for that type of situation.

I hope that helps

Dwight HoganCamp
<dhogancamp@xxxxxxxxx>

This has me stumped.  I have *ALLOBJ authority on the system, at
V4Rsomething.  I want to delete a record from a file in QS36F.  I tried
using UPDDTA and can see the record, but it will not display.  I wrote a
oneshot to delete the record.  It finds the record, but when I try to do a
delete it fails, saying the operation is not allowed.  The F-spec is
Update/Full Program described, indexed.

Any ideas?

Booth Martin
http://www.martinvt.com