http://www.dekko.com

"Bramley, Stu" <stu.bramley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
05/03/2005 03:44 AM
Please respond to

"RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Identity Columns

The way you have defined this uses 'generated always' for the identity
column - we cannot use this as it is not supported by our HA package.

We need to use 'generated by default'...

Cheers,
Stu

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dave Murvin
Sent: Friday 29 April 2005 17:23
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Identity Columns

How do you define the table?  I have an assets table that uses an asset
ID
that gets created when the record is written in my RPGLE program with a
regular write statement.  Field is defined as follows

create table Assets.Assets
        (Asset_ID               for column ASAssetID    integer not null
             generated always as identity
             (start with 1 increment by 1), ...

When I write the new record with RPGLE program, the asset_ID field value
is
automatically created and incremented by 1 from the last Asset_ID field
that was previously added to the file.   I believe that I initially
tested
this with Ezview, but don't remember for sure as it was a couple of
years
ago.

At 04:29 AM 4/29/2005, you wrote:
>I can't find anything in the IBM manuals to explain what is 'supposed'
>to happen when using an identity column with the identity value
>generated by default in RPG.
>
>An article by Kent Milligan on the iSeries network site at:
>http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/artarchive/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewartic
>e&CO_ContentID=15329&channel=art&subart=issue&issueid=677
>
>states that :
>
>"If a row is added via a non-SQL application interface (e.g., RPG
>Write), DB2 UDB will always generate the identity column value even if
>BY DEFAULT has been specified."
>
>However our (VR53) box doesn't behave in this manner - if an RPG
program
>writes a record or it is inserted by another means (eg. DFU without
>specifying a value for the identity column) it is written as zero.
>
>As I can't find IBM documentation saying how this is supposed to work,
>don't know if this is a bug, or it is working as designed... Is there a
>way (compile option?) to make the database generate the value for the
>identity column without specifying generated always (which doesn't work
>with our HA mirroring software)?

Dave Murvin
DRM Enterprises, Inc.

list

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return
email and then delete the message from your computer. The Skandia UK Group
reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications through its networks.

No contract may be concluded on behalf of the Skandia UK Group by email.

Skandia Life Assurance (Holdings) Limited Skandia Life Assurance Company
Limited Skandia MultiFUNDS Limited, Skandia Investment Management Limited.

Registered Nos: 1606702, 1363932, 1680071, 4227837, England
Registered Office: Skandia House, Portland Terrace, Southampton SO14
7EJ, United Kingdom

Royal Skandia Life Assurance Limited Registered No : 24916 Isle of Man
Registered Office: Skandia House, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man
IM99 1NU, British Isles

Skandia Life Assurance Company Limited, Skandia MultiFUNDS Limited,
Skandia Investment Management Limited and Royal Skandia Life Assurance
Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority
for UK
investment business.

Internet: www.skandia.co.uk