Is C6AENB defined somewhere else in your program?  Data structure perhaps?
Same definition except without the 'S'.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Eric A. Wolf
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 5:57 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Field compiles as Packed but is zoned in file

To the list,
I checked out the archives and found some mentions but not exactly.  I have a
file that shows in all utilities and commands that the first field is 2.0
Signed except on the compile of the program - it shows as packed.  The program
only has 100+ lines of code:

Error message: Factor 1 field is not the same type as first key field in file.
Factor 1 is Company
Here are the definitions of C6AENB
000002=I                             S    1    2 0C6AENB

000001=D C6AENB              2S 0 EXTFLD (C6AENB)
        *---------------------------------------------------------------
        * Data structure . . . . . . :  KLORDERHDR
        * External format  . . . . . :  FAVRECL : AMFLIBB/MBC6RES1
        * Format text  . . . . . . . :  Quote/Order Header
000001=D COMPANY                      2S 0 EXTFLD (C6AENB)

   1  MBC6RES1
        FAVRECL
                     C6AENB                  ZONE      2,0 SIGNED
                     C6DCCD                  CHAR        1
                     C6CVNB                  CHAR        7

*RNF7031 C6AENB            P(2,0)                1000002D

h NoMain option(*srcstmt : *nodebugio)
FMBC6RES1  IF   E           K DISK
 * Order Header                   Retrieval Index

 * Prototypes
d RtvOrdHdr       pr           424
d  prInput                         424

 *  module interface
p RtvOrdHdr       b                   export
d  RTVOrdHdr      pi           424
d  prInput                          424
 *
 * External definition of file
d DsInput       e ds                  extname(mbc6rep)
 *
d klOrderHdr    e ds                extname(mbc6res1:favrecl:*KEY)
d Company     e                     extfld(c6aenb)
d OrderType    e                     extfld(c6dccd)
d OrderNum    e                     extfld(c6cvnb)

/free

 //* Move the input information to the datastructure...
 dsInput = prInput;

 Company   = c6aenb;
 OrderType = c6dccd;
 OrderNum  = c6cvnb;

 CHAIN klOrderHdr mbc6res1;
 IF NOT %FOUND(mbc6res1);
      CLEAR DsInput;
 ENDIF;

 RETURN dsInput;

 /end-free
p RtvOrdHdr       e

V5R2 OS

thanks in advance...
Eric

Privileged and Confidential.  This e-mail, and any attachments there to, is
intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain
privileged or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify me immediately by a return e-mail and delete this e-mail.
You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail and/or any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.