Excellent.  I almost replied the same.  Didn't someone come up with a
technique to call an api to remove the extraneous message in the on-error
routine?

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

"Christen, Duane J." <dchristen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces+rob=dekko.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
04/26/2005 09:47 AM
Please respond to

"'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Date TESTing

Joel, Tony;

The monitor construct will perform better IF you have a relativly small
number of failures. The monitor intercepts an exception, compairs it to
the
on-error condition (if the condition exists) and performs the code
following
the on-error.

Exception handling is expensive, performance wise, and our rule of thumb
here is:
If 10% or fewer of the tests will fail, then the monitor construct is
acceptable, otherwise build/use a procedure to  test the validity of the
data.

I have not done any formal testing on this assumption, but it seems to
work
for us.

The other caviot with monitor is that it leave the exception in the job
log,
which can be confusing and generate a large job log full of exceptions.

Duane Christen