Kurt,

I use a naming convention for cases like that.

CalcTax( poOrderAmt : pTaxAmt );

//      po = Paramenter out
//      p = I/O Paramenter
//      pi = Paramenter IN

Jeff Stevens
Mize, Houser & Co. P.A.
913 451 1882
JStevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Kurt Anderson" <kjanderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
04/21/2005 01:59 PM
Please respond to

"RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Parameter Procedure return value in the parm list

Charles,

I realize that the prototype tells you all you need to know, but ideally
I'd like the code to tell me that.  Such as, in your example...
                 CalcTax( orderAmt : taxAmt );
... The amount being changed here is not explicit.  As a programmer I
now need to page up or whatever to find the prototype to see which
field, if any, is being changed.  This is what I'd like to get around
(w/o writing comments).

>There is no way to show that a parm will always be changed or that the
parm is only used for output instead
>of input/output.
Then it looks like what I'm looking for can't be done.

>This is one reason I try to make all params input only and use a return
value for the results of my
>procedures.
I hear ya.  I've just been comparing, mentally, how a subroutine that
exists on our system now would best appear as a procedure.

Thanks for your input,

Kurt Anderson
Application Developer
Highsmith Inc