From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Brad Stone
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 5:39 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: RPG/Java memory leaks? Possible?

I've ruled out my application for now as it doesn't alloc
or use any pointers except for those required by APIs (get
host name, etc....)

All variables are defined as DSs or standalone fields.

I imagine the first time the encryption program works
because it creates a new JVM and everything is "fresh".
 But on the subsequent calls I believe it may be doing
something wrong (either at the JVM level or within the app)
that is causing corrupt data.

You'd think if it were initializing everything on every
call that memory leaks wouldn't be an issue, as each time
the memory in question would simply be reinitialized.

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:31:35 -0500
 "Bob Cozzi" <cozzi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Brad,
> I don't know how your RPG GETURI program works, but I
> would suspect that
> either it or the encryption program (do they have the
> source for it?) has
> the memory leak.
> A assume you know the consequences of memory leaks so I
> won't go on, but
> check the RPG GetUri program. It may use ALLOC without a
> corresponding
> DeAlloc, or even worse, it may be using a based variable
> that is based on a
> parameter that is a different size than the based
> variable--this could be
> why it works the first time.

-Bob Cozzi
> www.RPGxTools.com
> If everything is under control, you are going too slow.
> - Mario Andretti

Bradley V. Stone
BVS.Tools
www.bvstools.com