 >> I am aware that this is the accepted practice, but I think it is a waste
of time. As I understand it, data structs are not initialized at module
start, so a plain old qualified data struct will not impact the running of a
program in that way.

Data structures are initialized to spaces by default.  The INZ keyword on a
DS causes each field to be initialized according to its type (i.e. zero for
numerics)

 >> And in terms of the system having to allocate space for the data struct,
I don't think there is any difference in module startup when the static
storage of a module is size X vs size X+ %size(template_data_struct).

In all probability there is no measurable difference in the quoted case.
However that is not a realistic picture.  In reality you might have 20, 30
or more structures defined that are simply typedefs.  Using the based
approach will avoid potential storage problems no matter how many instances
of the item you subsequently create.  Also it is not simply a question of
module startup - since you are affecting the size of the program's storage
you are affecting the amount that needs to be paged.

I would also use the technique to help standardize my typedefs so that I can
use /Copy to bring them all in without using storage etc.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com
www.RPGWorld.com