On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:56:11 -0500, Brian Piotrowski
<bpiotrowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know this is off-topic, but I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on
> this subject.
>
> If this has been discussed ad-nauseum, I apologize in advance.
>
> Management has asked if there would be any value to having additional
> applications on our iSeries that were not designed in RPG.  Rather, they
> asked the impact that using Java or C++ based applications would have on
> the server.
>
> Does anyone have any data or performance metrics (or better yet, links!)
> they could share to give me an idea on how a Java app would perform on
> an AS/400 vs. a C++ app. Vs. an RPG app?
>
> The reason management has been asking is due to the legacy programs that
> run on our machine.  We are currently running a 720 series w/2GB main
> storage and 175GB raid 5 array with 90% of the programs written in-house
> (and before my time).  At any given time, when I look at the performance
> of our AS/400 (through system status), and it always seems to be above
> 65% (or it's often at ++++ when I look at it).
>
> Management wonders if these programs were rewritten in C++ or Java if it
> would have a positive effect on the server?

I was not able to work out the problems I had with compiling my C++
code on the 400.  I gave it a lot of effort and posted a lot of
question, but still had some basic problems.   The C++ compiler must
work because I read that os400 is written in c++, but I cannot
recommend it.

As far as performance is concerned, nothing will beat RPG, but does
that really matter?  The systems are very fast now a days.

-Steve